fot

[FOT] VRG Summit Point Shenandoah event

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] VRG Summit Point Shenandoah event
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:29:38 -0400
I took my GT6 to Summit Point this past weekend.  VRG organized a very nice
event with lots of track time - 3 hours between the two days for each race
group.   We ran the Shenandoah circuit (several years old) which seems to have
a questionable reputation, in part because of limited runoff room in some
areas, and the banked turn (about 25 degrees).  However, for smaller cars,
it's full of interesting turns and feels plenty roomy, at least with the 50
entrants in three race groups that were here.  I think attendance suffered
somewhat because SVRA had an event at VIR the same weekend.  VRG hosts the
Beaverun event before the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and a few others as
well.

The Triumph marque was represented by George Wright in a fast TR4 and by my
GT6.  Also there but not racing were John Herrara (TR3), Steve Grogh
(Spitfire), Dave Miller (TR4), Rich Rock (too many Triumphs to count), Craig
Wensley and probably some others I am missing.  The groupings included  some
formula Fords, FVs, a Mallock, a formula junior, Turners, MGAs, a TR4 and my
GT6, Porsche 356 and 911, TVR Grantura, an Allard (coupe with a 392 hemi in
it, very cool), a Saab Sonett roadster and an open wheel formula Saab, a
Morgan, BMW 1600, Datsun roadsters, a '64 Pontiac GTO, Bugeyes, Fiat 850s, a
Mini, Lotus 7 and a rare Speedwell Sprite.

There was an SCCA regional on the big track, so plenty of entertainment for
the weekend all around.