fot

[FOT] CSRG Charity Challenge

To: FOT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] CSRG Charity Challenge
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:26:07 -0700
Had a grand time at the CSRG Charity Challenge race at Sears Point
(Infineon). the Airstream's maiden voyage which wient very well
except for some drama when the winch pulled free and sent Peyote
zooming towards the Formula 1 garage. If it hadn't been for some
lucky timing (the F1 cars were on track) and Billy Hart's cousin
jumping in front of a fast-rolling car to stop it, that could have
been disastrous. Turned my personal best time on Sunday staying ahead
of a very well driven Lotus 7. One more lap and I'm sure he would
have had me: http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=437112

On Saturday I finished second after I had to pull off on the second
lap and and turn the motor off for a few seconds to get the
transmission shifter unstuck. Managed to work my way back from about
15th place:  http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=437108
Made for some lurid driving and perhaps overly abrupt passing. I got
a few good natured but emphatic comments such as "you came out of
nowhere, I nearly wet my pants". Sorry about that, I was in a hurry.

Good to see Bill Hart back on form. He drove well and hard all
weekend and kept up with David Love and his wonderful Testarossa and
the inimitable Racer Bud. Racer Bud was driving the heck out of his
sptty, and passed David Love nicely, but got repassed to finish
seventh. I finally got to meet Gary Horskorta who drove his TR4 well
all weekend. John James was doing very well but wound up in the tire
wall on Sunday after he had to swerve to avoid a hard-braking car.
Did a lot of damage, which is especially sad since Tony Garmey had
his car working so well. Oh well, that's what the winter's for.

Sears Point is such a grand track, so much fun to drive. And it's
very quiet at night, which meant I slept like a baby in the
airstream. Might have been the wine.