fot

[FOT] TR2/3 LOWER WISHBONE MTS.

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] TR2/3 LOWER WISHBONE MTS.
From: "TONY VIGLIOTTI" <tony@rat-co.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:56:10 -0400

THANKS FELLOW,
           The response to my question was overwhelming. It is great to have
source of information like the FOT. I am just getting involved and am very
excited to be part of the team.
        Let me make some comments in regards to the response.
1. I was not considering the bracket switch till I was sure that I could do it
practically in production, that it is prudent engineering, that it integrates
seamlessly and that it is proven to work. All the frames I am making now will
be stock.
2. It will be an option to future customers at probably NC.
3. The TR6 lower mounts I use now on new chassis, are designed in to a system
on our TR6 chassis in which they are reinforced by the steering rack mounts in
the front and the engine mounting brackets at the rear. The TR2/3/4 system
will have some other means of reinforcement.
4. We will definitely have an affordable rack and pinion steering system for
the TR2/3/4 chassis within the next year. On my TR6plus6 project, I had to
lengthen the stock rack by 6 inches. As not to change any of the geometry, I
found a way to make the stock rack longer accurately and easily. The same
procedure will work for shortening the rack as well.
5. My goal eventually is to give my customers the option of have an adjustable
front suspension with rack and pinion steering for there TR2/3/4 SRA
restorations. Unfortunately the racing guys are going to have to wait for the
rules to be changed to allow for radical suspension changes in vintage racing.

        What's very exciting to me in regards to my re-engineering efforts is
that I have a clean slate to work with. As Joe A said (and rather profoundly)
"engineering changes makes for other engineering changes",  I want to do the
right thing and not have changes bight me or my customer on the butt down the
road. I Have read over the weekend, Bill Babcock's article in Kas's book,  on
front end analysis and found that I have a lot to learn. That's a good
beginning and I want to thank you all again for the being there at the start.
Go team!!

Regards,
Tony Vigliotti
RATCO Inc.

PS: Can I make chassis in aluninum for racing purposes?  Saves 100 Pounds!