fot

[FOT] New Spitfire Racer to nominate

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] New Spitfire Racer to nominate
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:01:35 -0600
I'd like to nominate Robert D. MacKenzie of San Antonio, Texas to the FoT.
His email address is dodo@texas.net and some details about his background
with Triumph performance driving are inserted below.  As I mentioned earlier
today, Robert is trying to figure out the car's history.  His "new" Spitfire
came from somewhere around Houston, TX and is apparently one of the first
Spitfires imported to the US - it would be 12th on Joe Curry's Spitfire
Database with it's "FC921" commission number.  A photo of the car can be
seen at - http://dodo.home.texas.net/fc921-race-car.jpg  As Rocky Entriken
has pointed out, this was an Autocross prepared car, not a road racer.  It
looks like it could easily become a dedicated vintage racer, though Robert
plans to go slowly with the project and autocross it only for now.  We'll
get him to a couple of events, and see how long it takes him to get the bug
to get out on the track... ;-)

It would be nice if any FoTers in the San Antonio or Austin areas would say
"Hello" to him and maybe let him know about any vintage racing events that
may be occurring near him.

May I have a second, please?

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

-----------------Robert's Message---------------------------------

I only plan to autocross this car, at least for now.  I have been
autocrossing now and then, depending on what car I had, (72 BMW 2002Tii - 83
Honda Civic S - 76 911S) for over 20 years and have managed to keep the
costs under control.  I live in San Antonio, TX but plan to move to the
greater Austin area early next year. In this area there are two great
autocross clubs that stage events almost every other weekend.  The
atmosphere is pretty laid back and they almost seem to follow the SCCA
rulebook, but not that closely. I just can't see myself doing any real road
racing, but it would be fun.  A national autocross event is my goal.

As for my Triumph racing experience:  I bought my first Spitfire, a '79 1500
this April and have run 5 or 6 autocross events since then. Until last
Sunday, I had planned to evolve the 79 into a high performance autocross car
that would look stock and still be streetable.  I am no longer planning to
go that route with this race prepared car in my garage.  I
will keep the 79 as a daily driver type but will keep improving it as things
wear out.

I bought the car from James Rodgerson, a driving instructor at MSR Houston.
I believe the car came from the Houston area.  Other than that and the
"Buzzard Race Cars 001" dataplate: I know nothing.

Robert D. MacKenzie
dodo@texas.net