fot

Re: [Fot] Permatex Red applied to rod bolts

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Permatex Red applied to rod bolts
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:16:13 -0800
> What's the preferred technique for applying Red to bolt threads?  Lacking
> info on their Web site,

>From :
http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/automotive/27100.pdf

"For Thru Holes, apply several drops of product onto the
bolt at the nut engagement area."

> I applied a uniform coating to the leading 1/4 inch
> of my TR4 rod bolts.  A day later it occurred to me that I might have
> weakened the threaded connection by applying too much.

My understanding of anaerobic thread lockers is that "too much" is not an issue.
They lock only in tight areas, where the fastener forces the film to be thin,
and any excess is just wasted.  It's not like gluing wood together where too
much glue can spread the joint apart.

Randall