fot

Re: [Fot] current racing video games

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>, <Gt6steve@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] current racing video games
From: "Terry Stetler" <tlizzard@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:50:20 -0500
The game that I mentioned is GTR2 for the PC.  In my opinion the best current
racing simulation.  It's premise is the FIA GT Championship.  So this means no
old cars.

Does it feel real?  Well, no PC simulation can feel real as there is no way to
model and transmit G loading to your body.  If you get beyond that it is very
easy to suspend disbelief and become totally immersed in the sim.  Especially
if you use the Logitech MOMO Racing force feedback steering wheel. (Can be had
for around $90 US).  The game code does a good gob of translating the "feel"
of tire contact through the wheel.  You can feel the tires break loose, or
feel when you go over rumble strips or FIA curbing.  The downside is the
pedals have no feel at all, so braking must be re-learned, as it is not what
you get in a real car.  The game physics are quite good.  The line is indeed
the line, early apex and suffer the consequences, and in a 600+ BHP Ferrari
575 things happen very quickly indeed. (there are several lesser classes as
well...).  Car setup is pretty comprehensive and includes various suspension,
gearbox, differential, wings and splitter, fuel, and tire selections.

The stock tracks that come with the game are all European and essentially
mirror F1 GP tracks, but fear not, as a wide variety of user made tracks of
very high quality are available for free on various fan sites.  Road America,
Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Barbour, and all the Aussie tracks including
Bathurst(Mount Panorama) are out there. You can race off line agianst computer
opponents, or go online and race real humans (the only way to go).

The game is fairly computer power intensive.  I have a purpose built gaming
rig so I have few problems, but an office PC with minimal CPU, RAM and a
bottom feeder graphics card will be crushed by this sim.

It is well worth a look.

http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/index.php?id=246&L=1<http://gtr-game.10tacle.com/
index.php?id=246&L=1>

It can be purchased at Best buy for around $20.

Terry Stetler