fot

Re: [Fot] Caliper questions

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Caliper questions
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:40:19 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2007 12:40:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:

I fully  expect the bores to be totally corroded, so of course I'll
have to split  the calipers to clean them up. The manual says don't do
it, but I don  think I'll have a choice

"DO NOT PART THE TWO HALVES OF THE CALIPER"
Yeah you can split them but it's best to do it at night in a closed locked
garage so the caliper police don't catch you doing it... It's kinda like
removing mattress tags... under penalty of law...:-)

Actually it's hard to clean the bore WITHOUT splitting them, especially the
top side of the groove where you can't see. There's usually a corrosion build
up  in there, I use a little bent scraper to clean it out. It can get to the
point  of effectively making the groove narrower & the seal wont fit  properly.
Pegasus sells the square-section o-ring as well.
The difference in the pistons is the style of dust seal... & price. I  don't
use the dust seals so that's a moot point.
There's no torque spec, I use 40ish on the 3/8 & 60-65 on the 7/16  bolts.
Like Steve said, there are different pads to suit big & small pins,  & the
pads differ in profile of friction material as well, tapered &  straight-sided.
I like the tapered because the straight sided pads will usually  wear uneven
from top to bottom,  more towards the OD of the disc, where the  speed is
greater.
HTH
Glen