fot

Re: [Fot] New poll - head & neck restraints

To: <spitfiresuz@141.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] New poll - head & neck restraints
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:35:42 -0600
It is my understanding the Isaac is not legal for SCCA because it requires
physically detaching it to exit the car.

Too bad because I've looked at it and rather liked it -- especially the
feature that it also works for side impacts which the HANS does not. But
SCCA's reasoning is they want to be able to just pop the belt buckle and
then extricate the driver. With an Isaac you also have to pull the helmet
pins and they worry a corner worker faced with an emergency situation may
not know to do that.

For those unfamiliar, the Isaac is two tiny shock absorbers that loop around
the shoulder harness right above the driver's shoulders. They are physically
attached to the harness, and then pinned to the helmet. You pull the helmet
pins to exit the car, but the shocks stay attached to the harness straps.
With the HANS, the device is held down by the straps but is otherwise
independent -- you can get out of the car, as you can with most other
devices (Hutchens, etc.), while still wearing it.

--Rocky Entriken