fot

Re: [Fot] Recalcentrant Bolt!!!

To: <TRDOCTOR@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Recalcentrant Bolt!!!
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:04:10 -0800
> I've seen some sort of "electrical disintegration" process that
> was used to disintegrate an outer bearing shell in my Guzzi
> gearbox.  Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology or
> even how it works, but it is something that only a shop would
> have.  Maybe others on the list could help and indicate
> whether it would work for you.

It's called Electrical Discharge Machining, or EDM for short.  I hope to build
one for myself someday, as it sounds like a very handy thing to have when you
need one (imagine being able to machine a hardened steel stud out of aluminum
_without_ harming the threads in the aluminum), but haven't yet.

However it's a very slow process, basically works by drawing a spark from the
workpiece which tears away a tiny bit of metal.  No reason it wouldn't work for
a crank pulley bolt, but it would sure take a long time.

Randall