fot

[Fot] Race report - VDCA @ VIR

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Race report - VDCA @ VIR
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:24:27 -0400
The fifth annual Wild Hare Run ran last weekend, and we were well
represented in both closed wheel run groups. The Spitfires of Rob
Stewart, Tim Slater and Freddy Danovitz plus the TR's of George Wright,
Alan Pinel, Dennis DeLap, Leo Oddi, Don Marshall, Dean Tetterton, Gene
Hammer, Mark Wheatley, and me. Apologies to whomever I am forgetting.
The weather was far from ideal for a couple sessions, but thanks to a
schedule loaded with track time we still got more dry track time than
some groups can offer in a whole weekend.

The Wild Hare race is done on Friday afternoon after we get worn out
running our normal 3 practice sessions. So for the fourth time of the
day we don the nomex and go to the grid. Cars are lined up slowest
first, and with stopwatch in hand, released at the precise time that
would allow, should all cars do 6 laps at exactly their best lap time,
they would cross the finish line at the same time. Sandbaggers can't
win, and the winner is usually somebody who starts in the first 15 slots
or so. Any further back than that would require some outrageous luck to
get through traffic. Anyway, the proud winner of the Wild Hare Run was
no other than our own Dennis DeLap! We know he will covet the, ahem,
trophy.

For the past couple years the second place trophy has been donated by a
generous VDCA member with an active imagination, and has gained the
reputation to be coveted even more than the, ahem, trophy for first.
This years second place trophy was absolutely up to par, a section of a
Hoosier tire on a plaque running over a hare. Second place went to no
other than Charlie Kates. You long time Triumph racers and fans may
remember him and his TR4 and the legendary battles with Mike Jackson in
his TR3. Charlie got away from racing 17 years ago, and decided last
year it's time to get back in the fray. He bought a Lotus 7 and is in
process of finding the handle.

One of the truly coolest parts of the weekend was being paddocked with
Mark Wheatley, who runs Charlie's old TR4. To see Charlie reunited with
his old car was quite a treat.

Journalist and certified ride mooch Burt Levy was in attendance
gathering intel for a story, so watch the usual places to see what he
has to say.

If you have been paying attention on this list there was a little race
within a race, something to do with a lady pushing a tea cart and Fat
Bastard Wine. There was a committee involved, I was not a part of it,
and I defer to said committee to fill in the details. Leo, Don, Dean,
the floor is yours...

Guys, I know I am sounding like a broken record, but I will say it
again. If you are within striking distance of a VDCA event, it will be
worth the tow. Race Director Mike Jackson and his board of directors
have put together something pretty special.

Until next time!