fot

Re: [Fot] Mallory dist now Vertex magneto

To: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mallory dist now Vertex magneto
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:54:53 -0700
If a car magneto has an advance mechanism it's usually very obvious
since it generally rotates the entire housing. You can't just move
the point base (or at least you can't if you want a good spark). The
point opening has to be timed to the position of the rotor relative
to the magnet, otherwise it opens when too little current is flowing
through the coil and the voltage produced is lower.

You can get away with moving the cam around a little on a motorcycle
magneto because it only has one or two sparks per rotation and
therefore the magnets can be wide. The cam on a Lucas mag is a hollow
cylinder that is eccentrically ground on the inside--the points run
against the inside, and the spark retard mechanism manually rotates
the cylinder in the housing. But even then the mechanism is just for
starting and does result in a weaker spark when it's used.

All of this is a sore point for me--the magneto for a Vincent is
always problematic because it's a 50 degree V twin. The spark is
compromised no matter what you do and gets much weaker in at least
one cylinder when you use the retarding mechanism--a big problem when
you're trying to kick start a high compression 1000cc V twin (1200
cc's in the case of my hotrodded Vincent) with a very lumpy cam and a
very primitive quadrant style kick mechanism. I'm giving up on period-
correct fixes and replacing the guts of my magneto with an electronic
ignition system. I've had enough embarrassing moments starting this
beast. Oh for an electric starter like the RTV clone motor had.

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com
bnj  Website for Babcock & Jenkins, a direct and interactive agency

You can subscribe to my Blogs
Via email:
All Aluminum Tour: Touring and racing classic North American tracks.
http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=168395
Ponohouse : Living and playing in Maui. http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?
Sub=168304

or Via RSS