fot

[Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 2 of 3

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 2 of 3
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:33:28 -0500
Uncle jack has to have the perseverance award
shelled out the pinion in the first session, took
the rear axle out, took it home (5 hours each
way), rebuilt it with a R&P on the shelf and only
missed a session.  Left at 6:30 Thursday night
and pulled back in around noon on
Friday.  (!)  Also, he and I changed the starter
that died, and overcame an encounter with the
tire wall.  The body man will be happy, Jacks checkbook will be sad.

In the group 3 qualifying race, I came up on a
car that looked suspiciously like uncle jack, but
not entirely.  As I got closer, I realized that
it was, in fact, my dad but with the left side of
the car caved in.  I felt sick seeing that.  But,
just to prove that chivalry wasnt dead, he did a
long lurid slide coming out of turn 6 trying to keep me behind him.

The Motrah qualifying race ended up being in the
wet.  I watched Allen Washatko spin in turn 14
and lightly glance off of the inside wall.  On
the last lap, I saw Dennis Delap off the track in
a crunched condition after turn 7.  I ended up
coming in 3rd behind a V-8 Morgan and Dave
Jahamiak, I think.  It was a glorious drive,
feeling the tires AT THE LIMIT in the
corners.  The Kink was one of the slipperier
corners.  (!)  I kept telling myself: brake
early, dont screw up, preserve the car.

In the Motrah race, I had a great dice with Jeff
Johnk.  It turns out that he is a real gentleman
racer.  I was faster through the twisty bits and
he was faster on the straights.  Once I passed
him, he made a point of NOT passing me back on
the straights so that I could battle with Allen
Washatko in his well prepared TR-6.  I was
setting Allen up for a possible turn 5 pass on
the last lap when he pulled off the inside of
turn 1, out of gas.  I think I ended up in 5th
place behind the two V-8 Morgans, Jahamiak and
Babcock.  Best time was in the neighborhood of
2:48.4  6 seconds better than my best time from
last year.  Incidentally, I PASSED Bill early in
the weekend (while he was still learning the
track).  I told him that was the only time that
would happen and it turns out I was right.

Part 2 of 3

Tony Drews