fot

[Fot] eBay-Buyers beware!

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>
Subject: [Fot] eBay-Buyers beware!
From: "Russ Moore" <rem9@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:06:24 -0400
It's been my finding of late Ebay listings are more deceptive than ever
before, no reference to this recent thread. I won two auctions in the recent
past where the goods were paid for but never delivered. Contacting Ebay got
a pleasant canned message from someone in Pakistan or where-ever their
"non-support" is done today. Fortunately I used a credit card and put the
onus on them to pull the funds, which they eventually did after much
ceremony. Ebay is not the medium for commerce it was three years ago. I had
another lister admit he had "thrown a few bids" at his own item just to get
things rolling. Listing anything of value for sale on the other hand
seemingly assures you of getting at least one attempt at a scam, usually
foreign nationals sending fraudulent counterfeit money orders and having
some tale of commissions needing to be sent; dead uncles; being servants for
rich potentates, etc.. Its gotten pretty bizarre. I listed a bulldozer
recently(I know its not a TR but it never lifted in the corners either) and
got three offers from out of the country with some scam attached. I am sure
there is a high demand in Nigeria for 50 year old Cletrac dozers! One thing
is guaranteed, Ebay always takes their cut regardless of outcome.

If a listing sounds too good to be true it usually is. Always ask what was
left out of an offering. The internet makes it way too easy for fraud to
happen.  I step down from the soapbox.

Russ Moore
Spitfire 49 (rebuild in progress)