fot

Re: [Fot] 1147 Crank Seal

To: jaxonracing@yahoo.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] 1147 Crank Seal
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 21:30:41 EDT
In a message dated 9/5/2007 8:37:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaxonracing@yahoo.com writes:

I  have located and purchased an 1147 crank for my race car, there is a
difference from the crank I had before in that on the flywheel end of the
crank
there is a "scroll" (looks like threads so as it rotates it returns oil  back
to the block) in the fat end.  It appears that this design would  "sling" the
oil back into the block, but I am not sure of the purpose.

My question is, does this type of crank design use  the same rear seal as the
crank without the "scroll"??? Or do I need a  different type of seal??

Jay, others will, I'm sure, be able to give you much more detail, but it
sounds like the crank you got is the earlier type and does indeed have the
"scroll" to fling the oil back into the engine. If I remember correctly,  it
has --
instead of an oil seal and its housing -- what the  spare parts catalogue
calls the "oil retaining cover -- rear." I also recall  that this crank was
used
until fairly late in the Mk2 Spitfires, then the later  crank was used through
the early 1296 "small journal" blocks.

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with  wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and  Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)