fot

Re: [Fot] Is There A Bigger Soap Opera?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Is There A Bigger Soap Opera?
From: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:20:56 -0700
I liked how rose-tinted his glasses appear to be.

Talking about "His squeeze job on teammate Lewis Hamilton exiting the
first turn at Spa last weekend clearly demonstrated his ill-will
toward Hamilton as well as a lack of any on-track ethics." like it
was some new phenomenon while completely ignoring history like Senna
crashing into Prost when both were at McLaren to ensure that Senna
took the Championship.  Seems to me McLaren brings this type of
problem on themselves by NOT having a driver running as its designated #1.

As to the $100 mil fine.  Again McLaren brought it on themselves.  If
they have been honest about the issue in June they would certainly
have been fined and seen some points taken away.  But as in most
things it is not the initial crime that carried the real penalty but
the cover up.  Ron and Company made the FIA look like fools for not
hitting them with any sanction after the first go round.  When the
additional info came out that even the drivers were discussing the
stolen material in emails the FIA seems to have decided to slap
McLaren hard enough that it got their attention.

Bernie is right in that the $100 mil fine was good publicity for F1.
I have friends that were astounded by the dollar number and these are
people that have barely heard of F1 but know that I watch the races
(I even subscribe to F1 Magazine) and they were asking me all kinds
of questions this past week.