fot

[Fot] Fan Belt

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fan Belt
From: Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 07:47:58 -0500
FoT,

At the September Road America event, I began to throw fan belts off my
TR6. I had no problems with the fan belt at the previous race event.
Nothing was changed on the engine. I run aluminum pulley's on the
crank, water pump and alternator (4.5" pulley on a Denso). All pulley's
are for a 3/8" belt. We could not see any run out of the belt with the
engine running at high idle. We checked the plane of the pulley's and
made a minor adjustment with shimming the alternator bracket. The water
pump had a very small amount of play in it but it seemed insignificant.
When i got home, I measured the NAPA belt width and found that it was
13/32" wide - 1/32" wider than 3/8". I went back to NAPA but couldn't
find an exact 3/8" width in their inventory. Could this be the issue?
When installed, the belt sat above the top of the pulley by a hair. Is
this enough for it to walk up and out at high RPM? Why did it just
start to do this? Is the wiggle in the water pump a new occurrence
causing the problem? The water pump is fairly new. Where are others
buying their fan belts and are they 3/8"?

Allen

Jody & Allen Washatko
N65 W5567 Columbia Road
Cedarburg, WI. 53012