fot

Re: [Fot] Alignment tools for TR6

To: "jim hearn" <jimhearn1@comcast.net>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Alignment tools for TR6
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:08:34 -0400
It takes a while, but first level the four tire contact points - vinyl floor
tiles or masonite work well.  Then get out a tape measure, plumb bob and
tape, and determine the centerline of the car by dropping the plumb bob off
the inner suspension points nd putting a tape line down the floor under the
center of the car.  fron there you can measure off the centerline - for my
formula ford with adjustable rod end suspension I could get the whole car
aligned symetrically.  Toe fore and aft can now be determined by setting up
jack stands at the four corners and running string down the sides of the car
at wheel center height.  Now you have a line to measure off of to the
leading and trailing edges of the wheels.  For camber, you have to get one
of those a frame shaped digital camber/castor checkers - look in the ads in
Sportscar or Grassroots Motorsports, or any of the race stuff suppliers -
Truechoice, pegasus, others - and you'll find one.
It's slow and painstaking but if you are careful you can do a good job this
way.  Of course, every time you jack up the car to make an adjustment you
have to go back and re-set the car on the floor!