fot

[Fot] Ring gear

To: "Friends" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Ring gear
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:15:00 -0800
Hey Friends,
I took a lightweight flywheel to be fitted with a new ring gear to the machine
shop today and the machinist asked me which way it went on.  I didn't know
what to tell him.
This is an early (long snout crankshaft) TR6 flywheel and the ring gear has a
chamfer on one side.  If we use the chamfer to assist guiding the gear to the
FW, the chamfered gear teeth face the transmission.  This seems opposite of
what should be to me.  I see most older ring gear are set this way, but does a
new installation with a modern starter go like this or with the chamfered
teeth edge towards the motor?
Charly Mitchel
TR6 #44