fot

[Fot] Crank Scrapers and Cam Lubrication

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Crank Scrapers and Cam Lubrication
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:50:37 -0500
I just looked at Chuck's pictures of his crank scraper and I have been
meaning to toss out this question on crank scrapers.

I understand their purpose is to cut down on the turbulent atmosphere
inside the crankcase. Sounds like a good thing, control the oil better
so the crank and rods are spinning in cleaner air. Less resistance to
engine rotation, more horsepower.

OK, sounds fine, but I always thought it was that chaotic environment of
oil being tossed about in the crankcase was the 'splash lubrication'
that the cam lobes and tappets need to stay alive.

What am I missing???

Not to mention the issue that more and more of our oil choices lack an
effective additive package for flat tappet engines...