fot

[Fot] FW: TR6 Roller Rockers

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] FW: TR6 Roller Rockers
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:07:23 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Don Carter [mailto:don@carterdesignassociates.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:37 AM
To: 'N197TR4@cs.com'; 'pvucinic@netspace.net.au'
Cc: 'fot@autox.team.net'
Subject: RE: [Fot] TR6 Roller Rockers

I've run roller rockers since 1993 in my 6.  At the VTR National Convention
in Seattle that year, I met Richard Good who had started a side business in
auto parts for 6's.  He had a set of his new roller rockers with him at the
event and our friendship started when I made this purchase.  I couldn't wait
to get back to Texas to try them out.  Mine are rocker the 1:1.65 ratio and
I couldn't be happier with their performance.  It was like putting a mild
higher lift cam in the car.  It was my first modification to the car as I
was a purist to the point of being seriously accused of being a OCD case.
As you guys know rolling across the top of the valve stem, and the length
ratio of each side of the rocker arm, opens the valves more.  There is no
noticeable wear that I have noticed, but I don't drive the car that often.
Since '93 only 25K miles, (after my rebuild at 100K), has been on break-in
road trips and a few times a year my wife and I autocross it.  The boost in
performance after installation was immediately noticeable.  They are easy to
adjust.  Basically, there is no downside that I know of.

On a milled head you have to watch the geometry of the set up, just as you
do with any installation of valve train equipment.  The arms should be level
as possible before they act on the valve, as I've found, so that the push
rod socket does not mar the aluminum arm and that it clears the valve cover,
of course.  I later made brass spacers under the rocker shaft chairs, but
that was because I milled the head a tad.  I also had to adjust the spacing
along the shaft with washers to center them on the stems.  I'm sure Richard
has now made these adjustments in the sets he now sells.  I have also run my
stock push rods since installation, which is why I needed the spacers.  I've
learned these final minor adjustments over the last few years of running
them.  I told the now well known "Good Parts" owner that I have almost every
thing in his catalog, and that he should expand his parts list.  It would
also be "good" if he would publish something on how to autocross a limited
slip diff.  I'd like someone to comment on that before I take out more cones
as I'm over-powering the courses we run.

Don W. Carter, AIA
Carter Design Associates
6213 Skyline Dr., Suite 100
Houston, Texas 77057