fot

[Fot] TR6 Cosworth pistons

To: FOT LIST <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] TR6 Cosworth pistons
From: greg <gtlund@cyberspeedway.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:06:37 -0700
All,
      After Shane's comment I thought I would measure the piston length
as I had never noticed the Cosworths as being overly short. The stock
piston is 2.440" and the Cosworth is 2.230". The Cosworth is a full
skirt design which is not much used today in racing engines. A modern
Cup motor or Pro Stock motor use pistons which have skirts the size of a
postage stamp. There is just enough material under the head to hold the
rings and a short pin to make them extremely light. These modern pistons
are CNC'd under the top to match whatever popup is on the top side
further contributing to lightness. The Cosworths are an older design and
I suspect a modern Ross or the like could be a little lighter. The new
set I have left is 1977 vintage left over from PLN's team. Cosworth has
probably updated by now but they are awfully expensive. They were $1,800
a set in 1992 the last time I checked which leaves room for about 3 sets
from most other manufacturers.
Greg Lund