fot

Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather / filling catch can

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve cover breather / filling catch can
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:00:23 -0600
We've had differing amounts of oil go to the catch can based on can
placement.  Venting out the big pipe on the LH side of the engine to
a catch can located in the LH side of the engine compartment is a BAD
idea, it turns out.  RH corners fill the can.

My catch can is on the RH edge of the battery tray, so the big vent
line goes up and over the engine, and the valve cover breather comes
from the top of the oil fill hole.  I put a very light film of oil in
it.  I go a season or more without draining it.

I do leave a nice little oil slick under the car when it's parked, though.

For my (Ford) diff, I had problems filling its catch can that I
finally solved by having the vent link feed upwards into the bottom
of the can.  The oil drains back into the diff that way.

- Tony