fot

Re: [Fot] automotive design

To: spreiss@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] automotive design
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:34:02 EST
In a message dated 01/06/2008 9:00:19 AM Central Standard Time,
spreiss@verizon.net writes:

> I am of the understanding that the 1957 TR3 was the first production car in
> the world to come with front disc brakes as standard equipment. Can anyone
> provide the story of how this coup came to pass? It seems so "un-Standard"
> for
> them to have been ahead of the curve in the application of modern automotive
> design at the time.

Steve...

I'm no expert, but that would really surprise me.  I think other production
based cars had them previously.  They were 'upstairs' not 'down stairs' cars.
I think the TR3 may have been the first (or among the first) of the
'economically priced' (read cheap) sports cars to feature them.  Seems I
remember early
ads touting the fact that they were $2,500 and had dual carbs, bucket seats,
AND disc brakes.

Bill Dentinger