fot

Re: [Fot] Crankshafts

To: "John McCue" <slugthemtrhd@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crankshafts
From: Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:06:13 -0600
John,

I believe the terms are actually "long" or "short" tail cranks. The
long tail cranks were used in the early engines (up to CC50000) and the
short tail cranks were used in later models. The difference is in the
pilot bush length which fits into the flywheel. The long is 1" and the
short is 1/2" in length.

If you are racing the car, I would highly recommend buying the 9.5 lb.
alloy flywheel that British Parts Northwest sells. It will better
withstand the destructive harmonics created by the TR6 crank. Be sure
to add 4 additional bolts at the crank and use ARP flywheel bolts.

Allen

On Jan 24, 2008, at 6:38 PM, John McCue wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a new aluminum flywheel for a TR6 motor but the
> seller
> says the flywheel was listed for a long crank motor.  What are the
> differences
> between a regular crank motor and a long crank motor?  Also in this
> conversion
> I am looking at using this flywheel on the back of my 1969 GT6 motor
> with a
> Tilton clutch and who knows what transmission so that also comes into
> play.
> Please enlighten me if you can so I can DEAL or NO DEAL.  John McCue

Allen & Jody Washatko
1971 TR6  - Number 6