fot

Re: [Fot] Filling Tires

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Filling Tires
From: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:43:25 -0700
Nope.  He meant the same good ole that you breath air

"...During the fitting process Bridgestone inflate their Potenza
rubber to 50psi to seat it on the wheel rim; they then supply the
tyres to the teams at 20psi, along with an inflation range that teams
must adhere to in the interests of safety.
Bridgestone inflate their tyres with normal - but dried - atmospheric
air because its rate of expansion inside a tyre is predictable as the
tyre heats up during racing conditions...
"We remove the moisture from the air to get a more consistent
response to changes in temperature" says Bridgestone's technical
manager, Tetsuro Kobayashi.  "Air normally consists of about 78
percent nitrogen, and the moisture content is a variable of around
one per cent..."

The article goes on to say that the teams have been experimenting
with both nitrogen and carbon dioxide.

The wheel rims have two valves so that the teams can purge the wheel
to add whatever gas they want.