fot

Re: [Fot] Springs

To: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Springs
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:44:36 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, William G Rosenbach wrote:

> It has been a while, but as I recall, HyperCoil would wind anything
> custom. I don't remember anything about it being costly. They had a very
> comprehensive line in stock.
> A coil springs character is a straight forward mathematical formula. What
> would make development costs so high? A complex multi-rate,
> multi-diameter winding?

I think the "issue" with regard to springs that fit Triumphs is that
Triumph used an ID that is somewhat unique.

If you "convert" to a stock diameter spring (like 2.5"), then changing
springs is a piece of cake (and almost cheap). 2.5" is good because a lot
of coil-over threaded bodies are 2.5". Please note that I'm not suggesting
that you convert to coil overs, although I'm sure there are those on the
list that have. But changing the spring perches to 2.5" ID springs really
changes what options you have for spring rates.

regards,
rml