fot

[Fot] Advice on Silverstones

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Advice on Silverstones
From: DSPGTi@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:38:42 EST
I have an original set of American Racing, magnesium Silverstones on my  TR4.
Up till now, I have only used them in short hillcmibs and have never driven
the car over 80%. Since I will be Vintage Road racing with the car, I'm sure
it's not a good idea to continue with the Silverstones. They are in very good
shape and I inspect them often for cracks, but I think most of you would
advise  against it, right?

So, if I put them in long time storage, should I consider coating them with
some kind of protection? They will be stored under cover but not in anything
environmentally controlled. It is often damp in our warehouse and the air here
 in New Jersey is a little corrosive being only 20 miles from the ocean.
Eastwood  has the corrosion protection in a spray can that is just like some
material that  we used in the Navy for aircraft component protection. I use
that on
steel  machined parts and it is easy to get off with solvent.

Any advise or experience you could share with me?

Dave Y.

48)