fot

[Fot] Triumph Vitesse

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Triumph Vitesse
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:12:39 -0800
Lots of talk about this car I did in 1971. It started off as a stock Vitesse,
used, sent to me by the factory for this project. It was built/raced /sold as
a two liter car. Even if I had the car right now I'd take out a 2.5 and put in
the 2.0 engine.  The 2.0 engine is far superior and will rev right out the
window while the 2.5 is a tough cookie to deal with in comparison.That gear
set had a first gear about the same as a second gear in a five speed gearbox (
of which we did not have). The car was built/raced/sold with three 45mm Webers
used slick race tires and was fitted with rear disc brakes. Lots of other cute
things but I have little memory exactly as at the time, it was under funded
and not important in the big scheme of things. But, it was a gas to drive and
went like a rocket.

One thing I do remember well is that the under two liter Trans Am had become a
little bit of bumper car racing so I had the cage built with a 1.75" tubing
4130 bar under the little aluminum face bumpers on the car front and rear and
tied into the cage and chassis.  The  idea being that anyone who ran into that
car was in for a shocking surprise.

AS I REMEMBER (reminding you all that this was a while back) we did the car
with a close ratio TR-4/6 gearbox for I figured the GT-6 box would never stand
up to the 210bhp.

We did race the car in the Trans-Am about 4 times and also in a few SCCA
amateur races.

Hopefully this will help answer some questions.