fot

[Fot] Motor troubles & compression

To: "Friends of triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Motor troubles & compression
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:15:34 -0700
Hey group,
I am having some disturbing issues with a fresh motor. The first symptom
was overpressure
in the crankcase. My catch tank is collecting an oily, watery vapor
which settles as a whiteish foam.
The catch tank is plumbed from the fuel pump cover plate. I still have
to properly vent the valve cover
in lieu of the tiny cap vent hole.
Oil also bubbles out the dipstick port in the block. On fresh oil the
oil pressure is 75 lbs +/-.
The foam is also present on the bottom of the oil cap and on the
underside of the valve cover.
As I put some miles on it my oil pressure drops below 40 PSI. I suspect
if I change the oil
again the pressure will go back to normal as it did last time. When
draining the oil there was
no evidence of water. I have about 40 miles in the motor now so I would
expect the rings to
have seated. It's not a fresh bore, just a hone job.
My compression test shows 180 psi in # 1 and 164 even across the other
three.
All the plugs were out when I tested the compression.
Could there be a common or similar leak in 2-4 and bleed compression
into the crankcase ?
Anybody know what a fresh bore should read ? The head has been milled
.075 and the liners and
head gasket trimmed to match the new combustion chamber profile.
Gasket sealer was used but I am a bit concerned as there are a few thin
spots.
Could it be exhaust gases leaking into the crankcase causing the
overpressure and vapor in
the crankcase ?
Then that leaves the drop in oil pressure, is the vapor affecting the
viscosity ?
Also, there is no smoke or steam coming from the exhaust and there is no
smell of
coolant. I plan to pull the head and have a look around but maybe there
is something else I
should look at before I take it apart, any idea's ?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Jim Gray
RMVR