fot

Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6

To: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:31:05 -0800
wow, I got an odd bounce from FOT server. I don't know if this went or
not, here's a retry:

I don't know guys. this all sounds like "do it this way or go club
racing". One of the things i always like about Vintage Racing is that
you can do it your own way and almost always have a race. I'm
absolutely certain that you could build a GT6 gearbox that would take
everything you threw at it and work reliably all year--right in the
original cases. All it takes is a hell of a lot of money. If that's
going to be the determinant then get comfortable with it. I know
exactly how that works. I'm occupying a little moral high ground here--
a rare thing for me. I use four speed TR3/4/6 transmissions in my
cars. I haven't really added it all up, but I wouldn't be surprised to
find I have four to five grand in each. My choice. I don't care if
someone else uses a toyota five speed, good on 'em. I'll race them.

Truth is we're all making this stuff up as we go along, and the aim is
always the same--have fun. Substituting a similar gearbox that is not
very expensive but is way more reliable is as much a way to avoid
pissing away a lot of money as it is anything else. If you can't talk
your sanctioning body into that then maybe you need a new one.

Certainly reliability is a theoretical advantage, but so what? Truth
is NONE of us are all that good. I certainly know I'm not. I'm not
contesting at the outer limits of my cars capability--far from it.
Every year I get older I suck a little more, make more mistakes, fail
to take advantage of other people's errors. I'm not racing in a place
where reliability translates into an advantage,  I'm playing with old
cars.

Miata racing is boring. Club racing is boring. Vintage racing is fun.
End of story.