fot

Re: [Fot] Question about Top Hat Bushings

To: "Fridirici, John" <John.Fridirici@grande.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Question about Top Hat Bushings
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Fridirici, John wrote:

> All,
>
> We break them.

Yep.

> Does anyone know why this happens?

I have theories. Bottom line: the top-hat has a sharp cut and it's very
likely to crack / shear there. It happens faster if you bang / crunch
gears, especially 1st to 2nd.

Once that puppy shears, all bets are off because the end-float goes to
crap and other stuff starts to break or go bad. If you're lucky, you catch
it before the spacer explodes and you loose the synchro hub, second gear
and the mainshaft. Not that _I've_ ever done that.

But if you've pumped up your power, you're probably putting in something
like 50% more input power (and torque) than the stock setup. It's probable
that you're outside of the designed specs, hence the failures.

> Years ago we made a steel two piece with a brass sleeve. It is now
> broken.

If you have brass on steel, you probably are seeing the brass wear causing
excessive end-float and then "other collateral problems".

You can get steel top-hats that fit in the old-style second gear mainshaft
gear, they work pretty good. Just like the late-style TR6 setup (but with
the older gears that you probably have).

> John Wagner and John Fridirici

Regards,
rml