fot

[Fot] Race Report - Wild Hare Run Part 1

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Race Report - Wild Hare Run Part 1
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:11:01 -0400
Hard to believe VDCA has been doing this for 6 years, but the Sixth
Annual Wild Hare Run at VIR was held on April 18-20, 2008. Another
strong showing. For many it was their first run of the season, but those
folks who hail from the deep south never seem to have an off season. I
wonder when they overhaul their cars?

VDCA has a winning format for the Wild Hare, we run combined race groups
so we get plenty of track time. Groups 1 & 4 run together; 2, 5 & 7 get
to play; then 3, 5 & 8. To make the numbers work we share the track with
a BMW drivers club. It's a great partnership that allows both clubs
access to VIR, undoubtedly one of the premier tracks in the country.
While the run groups are big, they are easily handled by the 3.27 mile
track. Talk about track time, how does 4 sessions of Friday, 3 on
Saturday, then warm ups, a no-additional-cost one hour enduro and a
feature on Sunday afternoon sound?

Everyone enjoyed a picture perfect day on Friday, one of the grid
workers was telling us this is what we get when we engage a Weather
Steward. I almost believed him... Saturday was almost as nice, but the
showers did dampen the last session of the day, the BMW enduro. Hey,
they all have wipers and defrosters, nobody felt all that bad about it.
Sunday was cloudy and threatening, but we got our track time in on dry
track.

I am not really sure how this happened, but the Triumph Ghetto has
gotten out of hand. Through the tireless efforts of a Leo Oddi, Dean
Tetterton and Don Marshall, the word has gotten out that this is the
event to drag your Triumph to. Heck, they even got Mike Jackson to
abandon his FV buddies for the weekend and bring his TR3. When is the
last time you saw that happen?

TR3's were fielded by Mike Jackson, Jeff Snook, Dean Tetterton and Randy
Williams. TR4's by Rob Deanes, Dennis DeLap, Henry Frye, Don Marshall,
Paul O'Malley, Alan Pinel, Mark Wheatley and  George Wright. Leo Oddi
drove his beautiful TR250.  Small chassis Triumphs were there as well,
Tim Slater was there with his Spitfire and a I saw at least one GT6.

The Friday night festivities have reached new heights as Captain Rob
Deanes personally caught the fish, brought the deep fryers and all the
preparations for a fish fry that couldn't be beat. Dean Tetterton was on
Hush Puppy duty, and everybody was raving about the feast. Complete with
all the fixing of the standard paddock party, we enjoyed traditional
grilled mammal as well. All were welcome, all left happy. Our hats off
to rookie TR4 pilot Rob Deanes for providing an incredible meal. Rob is
easy to spot on track, his TR4 causes double-takes, as it closely
resembles Old Blue of uncle jack racing fame. Of course Old Blue is no
longer with us, so seeing it's ghost circulating the track makes me
smile.

--continued on Part 2