fot

Re: [Fot] Oil - Since Triumphs Drip, Its Worth A Minute To Read

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Oil - Since Triumphs Drip, Its Worth A Minute To Read
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:47:03 -0500
Oil is traded in US dollars.  The weak dollar is now at $1.60 per Euro.  If
the dollar was strong and at $1.00 per Euro (which is what the projected
exchange rate was when the Euro was adopted) a barrel of oil would be a bit
less than $80 per barrel now.

$124/bbl divided by $1.60 per Euro is 77.5 Euros/bbl.  Hence at $1.00 per
Euro oil would be $77.50/bbl.

I was involved in negotiating a contract with a German firm supplying
controls to my former employer.  The Euro was just about to be adopted and
in fact by the time the negotiations were completed it had been adopted.
There was much discussion as to how to handle the exchange rate
fluctuations.  It was projected for at least the next 5 years that the
exchange rate would vary between $0.95 and $1.05 per Euro.

If you are looking for someone to blame for the high oil prices you can look
no further that the Congress and Executive branch over the last 40 years
which has engaged in huge deficit spending and running up the national debt
which has now come home to roost with a very much weakened US dollar.

No different than you and I.  Keep running up huge debts and sooner or later
the bill has to be paid.  In international currency there is no Chapter 11
or Chapter 7 (I think) bankruptcy to bail you out.  Your currency just tanks
on the international market.

Interestingly there has been little or no discussion in this election year
from the candidates about the national debt or the weak dollar.  I guess
it's hard for a politician to point the finger at himself!

My thoughts.

Tim