fot

Re: [Fot] Spity alignments

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spity alignments
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:29:08 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/2008 9:33:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
trmarty@hotmail.com writes:

I am  going to try and get my latest project , a 1964 Vintage Race Spitfire
into  autox mode so that I will have something to run at VTR in Ypsilanti  in
August since the demise of the TR6. Should be interesting since I  believe it
has a welded diff  and I have yet to drive the car. Wont be  in the running
for
FTD for sure. Hopefully their will be some folks there  to give Richard a run
:). Any of you forks that run Spitfires have any  suggestions as to alignment
specs?

==AM==
Hmm....I vaguely remember someone who cleaned up an abandoned-in-a-barn
(honest!) GP Spitfire 4, threw some cast-off FF qualifying slicks on it, and
eventually went on to take FTD at VTR autocrosses in 1986 and 1989, welded
diff.
and all! Note that the "and all" included the typical Kastner-recommended race
 mods and parts, circa 1968 or so, right down to the camber compensator and
Konis, and an engine that probably would just about qualify as a hot street
engine nowadays. Oh, and a welded 4.55 diff, which I always enjoyed  exploiting
on the course!

It all worked pretty well as a cheap and cheerful autocrosser for many
years. Unfortunately for me, various talented members of the infamous TR Gang
came
along, using a certain monster TR4 and other weapons. ;-)

Sure would be nice to see another "Vintage Race" Spitfire 4 out there on  the
VTR course. I've no alignment suggestions; we never got much further, in our
extreme cheapness and casualness, than getting it to track straight without
too  much scuffing or scalloping of the tires....

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man:  Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald  engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying  Circus  (22)

The Vintage Triumph Register's Triumph 10, Herald and  Sports 6 vehicle
consultant _http://www.vtr.org_ (http://www.vtr.org/)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database:_  http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.