fot

[Fot] VARAC Vintage Festival at Mosport

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] VARAC Vintage Festival at Mosport
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:12:04 -0400
The FOT TR4's put on a great show at the Festival this year.

Our paddock was anchored at it's usual location inside turn one, and
under our tents we had the cars of Keith Files, Tony Drews, Mark
Wheatley and me. Friday's three sessions went off with one hitch, on the
final session Keith's car dropped out with a seized engine. Looks like
another victim of the oil pump drive shaft tang shearing. The plan was
hatched to get the car back in form for the Glen in September.

Saturday morning we had a qualifying session to determine grid position
for the afternoon qualifying race. Tony qualified 10th, Mark 11th, and I
was 13th. We were a few tenths apart. On the warm up lap the rain
started. Kind of light at first, but by the time the green flag fell it
was quite wet. I delighted to watch Mark work his racecraft and pick and
wiggle his way to round turn one in second place! Tony was in the inside
lane and was held up with nowhere to go. As we slid around with all the
Minis and Mustangs and a Corvette and even a 1962 Galaxie 500 I got
increasing uneasy, and on our second tear up the back straight a
microburst of heavy rain hit. I had enough and came in, Mark finished
5th, while Tony worked his way up to 8th.

On Sunday morning's race we saw Tony Drews run a 144.9, Mark Wheatley
turn a 1:44.8, and I ran a 1:44.6. OK, in the column that really counts,
Tony came in 6th overall, Mark finished 8th, and I came in 14th.  I had
a hoot running through traffic while our boys out front battled for
bragging rights.

Mike and Sandy Jackson pulled the Trailer of Templeton Formula Vees, and
Mike piloted the Shadowfax while hired gun Dick Ryan ran the freshly
restored Ringwraith. The Ringwraith looks great, congrats on a job well
done, Mike!

Bud Babcock was there in his gorgeous TR3, and Ivan Ivanyshyn piloted
the ex-Dave Herd Spitfire. Matt Molson ran his TR6 as well.

Mosport continues to be a drivers track, my personal favorite. That
combined with the unparalleled hospitality of VARAC, the incredible
enthusiasm of the corner workers, and in general the VARAC racers are
extremely competitive and clean, this event continues to be the
highlight of my season.