fot

Re: [Fot] Mosport weekend

To: "Simon Rasmussen" <simon@telephonestogo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mosport weekend
From: Bill Babcock <billbab@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:57:42 -0700
Very sad indeed, he was a very good driver and a nice guy. I saw him
drive several times, and I chatted with him at Mosport last year. I'd
say something trite, like at least he was doing something he loved,
but it was way too soon.

I'd say to everyone "be careful" but it really doesn't make sense.
Tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen are inherently more dangerous
than many of our home tracks--they're faster, they have challenging
corners, and they slap you across the face and call you sissy if you
aren't driving them hard enough. There's really no way to go 8/10's,
it's more like 5/10's or all out. I love those tracks, but they can
bite.

We should all remember that as we converge on Watkins Glen. Make sure
your car is up to snuff. Make sure your safety gear is safe. Take time
to come up to speed. Drive at the level you're comfortable with, not
the level you get sucked into.

I'm going to try to remember all that myself. Even with those
precautions, there's no guarantees. When we step on a race track we
need to recognize that.

On Jun 25, 2008, at 8:41 AM, Simon Rasmussen wrote:

> I was out on Saturday with my wife and had a very pleasant chat with
> Tony
> Drews, also spoke to Matt Molson and some ex Triumph drivers who now
> are
> cultivating German accents. We enjoyed watching a huge field
> splashing around
> in the rain, Minis coming out on top but TRs well represented.
>
> I was wearing a T shirt with a picture of Gilles Villeneuve which I
> have had
> for about 30 years and wear only on special occaisions. Looking at
> the Wolf
> CanAm car driven once by Villeneuve I spoke for a while to Dino (he
> noticed
> the shirt) and had my picture taken kneeling by the car. Rather
> horrifying to
> hear of his fatal crash the next day.
> I offer my condolences to his family and friends.
> Simon Rasmussen.
>
> You are subscribed as billb@bnj.com

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins