fot

Re: [Fot] Trying to mount an electric fan on a high density radiator

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trying to mount an electric fan on a high density radiator
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:42:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Anecdotal reference:

JK and GRM took a TR6 to a dyno to tune it... the goal was Street Prepared
SCCA Solo. The BIGGEST HP gain they got in the exercise was 8 HP. They put
on Webers, played with timing, added a header... all the legal street
prepared stuff (no internal mods) and losing the fan was the big "winner".

They removed the crank driven fan and got 8 HP. That's huge for a "free"
upgrade.

The answer is that the parasitic loss from the fan blade drag is always
there (from idle to the red line). An electric fan is way more efficient
and your aren't connecting it to the CRANK. There's no mechanical
advantage or anything when you connect to the crank. About the only thing
you should drive from the crank is a supercharger. :-)

I dumped the fans on my TR6's years ago.

c ya,
rml