fot

Re: [Fot] Mallory dual point trouble-shooting, condensers

To: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mallory dual point trouble-shooting, condensers
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 06:21:09 -0500
This is a good time to remind everybody about the peculiarity of the
Mallory condensers.

The condensers are manufactured with a coating on the outside to
prevent corrosion. The little bracket that holds them is intended for
a one-time-only use. The bracket has little indentations protruding
toward the inside diameter intended to scratch that coating off.

This seems to me to be a lousy design concept.

The solution seems to be to sand the corrosion protection off of the
portion of the condenser that the little nubbins are supposed to
contact. At least this has worked for me so far.

If we could get through to a real person at Mallory who was
interested in helping, we could find out the microfarad value of the
condenser and perhaps find a suitable replacement on the market.