fot

Re: [Fot] hardened washers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] hardened washers
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:31:20 EDT
In a message dated 7/8/2008 5:15:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
fot-request@autox.team.net writes:

> To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
> Cc: Ryan Murphy <rpm724@att.net>,    "Ryan Murphy \(work\)"
>     <Ryan.Murphy@fdlco.wi.gov>
>
> I'm looking for hardened and ground washers for the cylinder head nuts and
> the
> rocker stud nuts.  Been reading Carroll Smith's book on fasteners and he
> makes
> sense to use these washers in this application, especially the cylinder head
> which has spot faced locations for the washers.  I have washer from Moss but
> they all are "crushed" and obviously not very hard.  (Checked with a file and
> they are just plain washers as far as I can tell, the right size though,
> almost.)  On the rocker studs, I had used double Gr. 8 washers and they still
> got "dished" into the rocker pedestal holes.  I'm wondering if some of the
> rocker pedestal stud breakage is from not having a good hardened and ground
> washer under the nut and the nut loosing it's tension and/or bending causing
> the breakage that has been reported.  This has probably been discussed and
> maybe everyone is already using these type of washers.  I'm still pretty new
> at this and still have a lot to learn.
>
> Would appreciate anyone who has a source for these type of washers in the
> size
> needed.  Did the usual Google thing and haven't come up with a supplier who
> would sell just 20 or so.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
> 1961 TR4 #317

Tim,

ARP or Coast Fabrications both supply such washers, you will need
measurements when ordering, including thickness.

Also get their catalogs.

Leon

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963</A>