fot

[Fot] TR4 J type overdrive transmission

To: "Friends of triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] TR4 J type overdrive transmission
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:39:14 -0600
Greetings again,
After 2.5 years the TR4 build is done ( for the most part) The car did well
in it's first race but a few issues
surfaced. The overdrive has never worked more than about ten shifts in any
given stint.
Once the car is completely cool it would function again for another ten or
so shifts.
It seems to go into free wheel or a neutral. I replaced the solenoid just
yesterday
with no change in symptoms. I regularly check the fluid level and I'm using
Red Line
75-90 per John Esposito. I have heard the transmission pressure can be
checked
while the car is being driven. Any hot tips there would be appreciated. It
seems like a good idea to do
some daignostics before I pull the tranny. There is also a rotaional like
clicking sound coming from the OD
while staionary in neutral and goes away once it's moving. I rate it on a
nasty clicking sound scale a 6 out of 10.
I also have trouble with third gear. I think the syncro is going out. I have
been told that third is troublesome anyway.
It's pretty clear the tranny needs to come out before the next race.
This is a stock tranny with no more than the layshaft and steel hat bushing
upgrades to suit the J type OD.
I am wondering, if you, the FOT, were building a new transmission for
racing, what would you do ?
The diff & gear is the 3.70 with a quaife. Any suggestions regarding ratio
changes ?
While doing a bit of research on dog boxes I ran across this incar race
footage of a BMW with
a sequential box. It's pretty good footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8&feature=related>
&feature=related

Thanks again,