fot

[Fot] Aluminum Brake Drums seem loose

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Aluminum Brake Drums seem loose
From: "Belfer, Steve" <Steve.Belfer@warnerbros.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:38:47 -0700
Last winter I bought a set of the Brembo aluminum filled brake drums for
my TR3B from TRF.  They get 240z units new and machine to fit.

Here is the link:
http://www.zeni.net/trf/sampler/41.php?s_wt=1920&s_ht=1200

I let them sit on the shelf for a long long time and finally went to fit
them up.  The hole in the center lines up perfectly with the "hub" on
the axle, however, it seems that the four stud holes are slightly too
big.  This means that the drum goes on very easily and rotates about 3/8
inch fwd and back.  My heavier stock units require a good sqeeze and
hand tapping to get it on all the way and it won't budge or rotate.
Now, I know that when the wheel is bolted up, the drum shouldn't move
but it feels bad that the steel drum fits very snug and the new one
feels a little loose.

I have Southwick axles and not sure this changes the fit of stock brake
drums.

Did I tell you these things were about 160 bucks each?

My rear brakes work fine as is but thought the aluminum finned jobs
would really look cool.  They're also very light.

The brake drums shouldn't be loose at all when fit, right?

~Steve