fot

[Fot] Ignition type questions

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Ignition type questions
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:40:40 -0400
--===============1833898893==

--0__=0ABBFE5FDFF021C18f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBFE5FDFF021C1

Hello, I'm new to the FOT list, I was racing at the Glen Vintage event =
and
a member, (thanks Marty Sukey) talked to me and now I've now discovered=
great resource. I've been racing a 63 spitfire for 3 years now in the
northeast in mostly with the SCCA Historic Racing Group but this year I=

bought some slicks and ran regional HP events too. I've been going thro=
ugh
the car, freshening things up and getting it as reliable as a 45 year o=
ld
LBC can be but now I'm at the stage of what to do next.

The car's been around forever, it's been a race car since day 1. I hear=
from a previous owner, Dave Belden who raced it for 20+ years,  that th=
importer made it a race car right off the boat to promote the new Trium=
ph
model. As far as I can tell, the first time it's been driven on the str=
eet
was 2 weeks ago at the Glen during the recreation of the old race. You =
can
see it on the video that was posted here, I'm the car still at the curb=
 on
the right as the cars are going through town. I broke a 1/2 shaft unive=
rsal
pulling away from the curb but that's another story.

I'm looking at the ignition system, the car (1296 motor)  came with a D=
elco
distributor and a Crane Fireball electronic ignition box and Crane coil=
.
One of the groups I race with doesn't allow crank fired systems so I'm
forced to keep a distributor set up. I'd like to ask the collective wis=
dom
here what would my best option be? The engine is moderately worked over=
,
revs freely to around 7800-8000 RPM but the cam I have works best from
4500-7200 RPM. I've looked at Pertronix systems, going back to points
(Single or Dual?) or keeping the Crane. I also bought a Crane CD box, w=
ith
rev limiter that is going to be a winter install but I'm not sure if it=
's
worth the electrical draw on the system. My main reason for the CD was =
the
built in Rev limiter and easier starting when the engine is hot.

I'm not looking for the ultimate engine package, I'll trade power for
reliability (to a point) and running with multiple groups, often on the=

same weekend, limits me to one set up that will be acceptable to all.
Any suggestions on how to keep this puppy sparking?

thanks
mike

Old Fart Racing
63 Spitfire #7

G. Michael Harmuth
Software Engineer
Automated Material Handling Equipment Engineering Services=

--0__=0ABBFE5FDFF021C18f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBFE5FDFF021C1

nt and a member, (thanks Marty Sukey) talked to me and now I've now dis=
covered a great resource. I've been racing a 63 spitfire for 3 years no=
w in the northeast in mostly with the SCCA Historic Racing Group but th=
is year I bought some slicks and ran regional HP events too. I've been =
going through the car, freshening things up and getting it as reliable =
as a 45 year old LBC can be but now I'm at the stage of what to do next=
.<br>
The car's been around forever, it's been a race car since day 1. I hear=
d from a previous owner, Dave Belden who raced it for 20+ years,  that =
the importer made it a race car right off the boat to promote the new T=
riumph model. As far as I can tell, the first time it's been driven on =
the street was 2 weeks ago at the Glen during the recreation of the old=
 race. You can see it on the video that was posted here, I'm the car st=
ill at the curb on the right as the cars are going through town. I brok=
e a 1/2 shaft universal pulling away from the curb but that's another s=
tory.<br>
I'm looking at the ignition system, the car (1296 motor)  came with a D=
elco distributor and a Crane Fireball electronic ignition box and Crane=
 coil. One of the groups I race with doesn't allow crank fired systems =
so I'm forced to keep a distributor set up. I'd like to ask the collect=
ive wisdom here what would my best option be? The engine is moderately =
worked over, revs freely to around 7800-8000 RPM but the cam I have wor=
ks best from 4500-7200 RPM. I've looked at Pertronix systems, going bac=
k to points (Single or Dual?) or keeping the Crane. I also bought a Cra=
ne CD box, with rev limiter that is going to be a winter install but I'=
m not sure if it's worth the electrical draw on the system. My main rea=
son for the CD was the built in Rev limiter and easier starting when th=
e engine is hot.<br>
I'm not looking for the ultimate engine package, I'll trade power for r=
eliability (to a point) and running with multiple groups, often on the =
same weekend, limits me to one set up that will be acceptable to all.<b=
r>
Any suggestions on how to keep this puppy sparking?<br>
thanks<br>
mike<br>
Old Fart Racing<br>
63 Spitfire #7<br>
G. Michael Harmuth<br>
Software Engineer<br>
Automated Material Handling Equipment Engineering Services<br>