fot

[Fot] Paul Newman & Jan Alexander

To: kaskas@cox.net
Subject: [Fot] Paul Newman & Jan Alexander
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:21:34 -0400
Kas,

You, Susan, and Richard sure are bringing a great smile to Jan's face.

She deserves the attention.  =

It makes my Triumph run faster, too.

Joe A

>I've still got a snap shot of Paul giving me a birthday cake at Limerock t=
hat he just took from the trunk of his car on a Trans-Am weekend when I was=
 with Nissan. =A0Neat guy, fast driver and just a wonderful guy to hang wit=
h.

>I might add that Jan Alexander repeated this action with a birthday cake f=
or me at Watkins Glen, and she is pretty cute too.
lsouth.net ; leetheviolinist@gmail.com ; rltaylor3@gmail.com ; nancy_mitchc=
o@hotmail.com ; fot@autox.team.net ; ruthie.taylor@gmail.com
> =A0Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 3:20 PM
> =A0Subject: Re: [Fot] Paul Newman
>

> =A0I met PL at a driver's meeting @ LRP too. He was there in 99 or so at =
a National. Showed up at the driver's meeting just like the rest of us. Mos=
tly listened to the Stewards say the same old stuff with about the same amo=
unt of attention. Making the same small race talk with everyone around him.=
 Amazing guy.

> =A0Later I was up in the tower watching a race (FF's I think) and he wand=
ered up. We made a few comments about a few great pass attempts and success=
es going on.

> =A0A racer just like the rest of us. Just with a different day job.
>

> =A02008/9/28 Joe Boruch <jaboruch@netzero.net>
>
> =A0 =A0I met Paul at a driver's meeting at an SCCA race at Lime Rock some=
 years ago. =A0That's when he agreed to be an honerable FOT member. =A0He w=
as very aproachable at the track as long as the subject was racing. =A0My w=
ife started up a conversation with him later that day and called him Mr. Ne=
wman. =A0He replied "Call me Paul". =A0His wife and daughter were often up =
in the tower watching his race and were also very approachable. =A0He was s=
till racing SCCA last year, but was doing regional races instead of the Nat=
ional races that he did in previous years. =A0He was still winning, too. =
=A0It was at an SCCA regional race in 2007 that Barbara Walters went for a =
track ride with Paul around Lime Rock. =A0She was doing a story about livin=
g a long life.

> =A0 =A0-- "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> =A0 =A0Ten years or so ago, I was sitting with a group of racers in the l=
obby of that Holiday Inn-type hotel at the northeast corner of Daytona Inte=
rnational Speedway. In comes Newman and plops down on a sofa in a friendly-=
exhausted sort of way and starts bench racing right there. In a few minutes=
 he and I go over to the temporary bar set up for cocktail hour. He orders =
a Budweiser and I order a Heinekens. Newman digs into his pocket to pay for=
 his beer and the bartender says, "That's okay Mr. Newman, it's on the hous=
e."

> =A0 =A0The bartender then looks at me. So I say "Well, do you know who I =
am?" =A0 He says, "No, who are you?"

> =A0 =A0I tell him, "I'm Richard Taylor from Atlanta"
>

> =A0 =A0The bartender thinks a second then says, "That's great. That'll be=
 $3.50."

> =A0 =A0Newman, still standing there, chuckles. While I am waiting for my =
change he takes his free beer over to our group and tells them the story; t=
o which they all laugh their collective asses off.

> =A0 =A0Of course there was no escaping the aura of his celebrity, but som=
ehow it never eclipsed the camaraderie of our spontaneous little group of r=
acers.

> =A0 =A0If one can make a judgment of a man by an antidotal moment, in my =
mind Newman exhibited class in its noblest unrefined form.