fot

Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios

To: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] determining differential ratios
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:29:48 -0700
With a locked or welded diff you don't do multiplication by two. I
find it simpler and more accurate to do ten rotations of the tire--no
interpolation. 37  output shaft turns vs. 39. Not a lot of room for
error there. I just had to do it for the Ambro.
On Oct 20, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Ted Schumacher wrote:

> Bobby, tried to reply last night and not sure if reply got through.
> Here we go again. Apologies for sending twice if it did get through.
> This will only work for "open", not welded or limited slip,
> differential. Put a mark on the pinion (drive shaft) flange and  a
> mark
> on one wheel (or tire or brake drum).  Keep the other wheel, tire,
> etc.from turning. Turn the drive shaft and count the number of turns
> of
> the pinion flange needed to get 1 revolution of the tire.  Multiply
> this
> by 2 and you have the ratio. Example - just over 2 turns is a 4.1,
> just
> under 4 turns is a 3.9, 1 3/4 turns is a 3.5, etc. All you have to
> do is
> know what ratios were available.  The example of 1 3/4 turns as a
> 3.5 is
> not quite correct. Triumph did not make a 3.5, but they did make a
> 3.45.  That's one method - no tools, no fuss, no dismantling. Ted
>
> Bobby Whitehead wrote:
>> Forgot to mention... I have several differentials laying around. I
>> don't have them in the car. I have known and determined I have a
>> 3:89 locked in the GT6. If I indeed DO have a 4:11 I need to
>> understand how to figure it out without being in the car.
>>
>> Thanks guys....
>>
>> Bobby Whitehead

>> 10/19/2008 6:02 PM
>>

> --
> Ted Schumacher
> tedtsimx@bright.net
> http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
> 108 S. Jefferson St.
> Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
> Fax: 419.384.3272 (24 Hrs.)
> Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
> Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660