fot

[Fot] A Memoriam

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] A Memoriam
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:06:53 -0000
Dear Foters

Some you who were at Watkins Glen in early September, may have heard me
announcing the "Triumph
Trans- AmeriCa Charity Drive 2009" both in the library in the town and later in
the trackside
marquee? For those of you who didn't hear those 'info releases' because of
distance for travel or
the importance of consuming the booze so substantially on tap, you'll find
details of the event so
far at www.triumphtransamerica.org.uk

This post is prior to anything going on the website or triumphs@autox.team.net
because the person
concerned was a Foter in the true sense.

In a moment of 'whimsy' and because it would be a "first time without" I had to
do something to
ensure the "continuity of tradition." I've never raced Triumphs myself (though
I drove a good few
far too fast around the Coventry site in my youth) and my own Triumphs were
never noted for being
slow. The one thing all my cars have had - even when they weren't Triumphs - is
a name. Up to a few
weeks ago, the Stag I'll be driving on this charity marathon next year would
have been nameless -
but that's now changed. I've just had a reply from Tony Drews who has most
graciously allowed me to
call the Sapphire Blue Stag with the white hardtop being rebuilt by ISOA near
Chicago as "uncle
jack."

Ladies and gentlemen, from this point forwards, "uncle jack" will live on in
the form of a Triumph.
Moreover, a Triumph that will, I am told, do something that no-one has ever
done before - and that's
do an 11,000 drive across the States and Canada for charity. In so doing, I
hope the car will
quickly become something of an icon to the memory of one very special man who
helped and enjoyed
being with so many Triumph enthusiasts. Also from this point forwards please,
the car in question
will no longer be referred to as The Stag or the TTACD Car. Let us call it
'uncle jack' when talking
about it, because all FoTers will immediately know the term is either the
remarkable person himself,
or the car that lives on his memory - and will continue to do so long after the
event is over and
probably forgotten as well.

So, 'uncle jack' will be commemmorated by a decal on the bonnet hinge panel and
he'll get off on his
11,000 mile charity drive from Daytona (late June/early July 2009) to San Luis
Obispo (where he HAS
to arrive in time for the combined VTR NATC and Triumphest event at the end of
September. If the
route passes near your home, please join 'uncle jack' and if there's space,
ride in him as well.

Thank you Tony, thank you Frances. uncle jack (and I as his driver) will do our
very best to
continue success with Triumphs

Jonmac