fot

[Fot] Fwd: Columbia River Classic and Triumph

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Columbia River Classic and Triumph
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:23:59 -1000
Sorry, this bounced because I used the wrong email account

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Babcock <bill@kenalu.com>
Date: November 24, 2008 9:15:29 AM HST
To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Columbia River Classic and Triumph

I received word back from SOVREN that they enthusiastically support
Triumph and the Kastner Cup for the CRC race. They were downright
giddy about having Kas come--I guess I forget sometimes how venerated
you are, Kas. There will be a special Triumph race and SOVREN will
promote this as a Triumph event.  Since the CRC shares the venue with
the All British Field Meet this will mean a heck of a lot of street
and show Triumphs in the ABFM area.

I'm also going to aim at having a full-on autocross, probably in the
ProPits. Some FOTers have participated in an autocross in this area
before, when the Triumph register met in Portland.  The ABFM generally
has an on-track autocross, but it's kind of one-shot. I'd like to get
something set up that was real and challenging.

More details as we proceed, but we're on for Labor Day Weekend, Sept
6-9 2009, Columbia River Classic and the Kastner Cup. Be there.

Incidentally, the CRC has always been a max track time event. The
Lotus club usually holds a very inexpensive track day the day before.
Registration, etc. on Friday, Practice/qualifying and FIVE races run
Saturday, sunday and Monday, not including special races. On the basis
of track time per dollar this is probably the best anyone can do,
assuming you and your car hold up.

Here's the blurb on last year's CRC from the SOVREN site (http://www.sovern.org
  ):
COLUMBIA RIVER CLASSIC
                      At Portland International Raceway
                          In Conjunction with the All British Field
Meet.
The weather is sunny hot as SOVREN takes to the road in this midseason
event of the racing year at the Portland Intl. Raceway. This event,
the Columbia River Classic Road  Race is an annual event with
approximately 150 pre-1970 racecars that have been restored to mint
condition. With its challenging course, the infamous festival turn on
the straight and open layout, viewing is a real treat as the entire
course is visible. Spectators will have the chance to view a variety
of rare cars from the past including Porsches, Lotuses, Alfa Romeos,
Corvettes, Austin Healeys and many more.  The 2008 event will salute
the 40th anniversary of Formula Ford.  This race is held in
conjunction with the largest West Coast All British Field Meet, with
tons of British vehicles in attendance, a swap meet, a Range Rover
demonstration, and a slalom. The Sunday night banquet is always a
treat with lots of good food.  Racing will take place from 9:00a.m. to
4:30 p.m. on Saturday and 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday and 9:00
a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Monday.

Bill Babcock
Editor
Ke Nalu e-Magazine