fot

[Fot] GT6 restoration

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] GT6 restoration
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:11:15 -0500
I'm restoring a 70 GT6 +. The weather strip around the door is gone and I
bought a few lengths of repro, all rubber type, not Furflex gasket material
with the imbedded metal clips. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for
doing the install? It looks like I need to spread the clips open somewhat
so they clear the interior parts and crimp it back down when I'm done. Is
there any quick or easy way to do this? I was thinking of using a
plexiglass ice scrapper to open the channel up with out doing any damage to
the rubber and vise grip type welding clamp to crimp things back but I'm
open to suggestions. Do you add adhesive too or are the clamps enough?

Also, as part of the restore my wife wants to make her own door finishers
in a color other than the standard black. The current ones have hardened up
and are very brittle so just recovering them is not an option. As anyone
built a set of these from scratch? What did you use for a core?
thanks
mike