fot

[Fot] Mustang Challenge

To: "wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com" <wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com>,
Subject: [Fot] Mustang Challenge
From: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:02:21 -0700
I finally saw an episode (Round 1 @ Road Atlanta and Round 2 @
Mosport) of that Mustang Challenge show on HD Theater, "Why We
Race".  Must say that it sure looks like most of the drivers in that
series pretty much SUCK.

The young, under funded,  heavy set kid from Washington State that
won both of those races certainly looks to be smooth, controlled and
precise behind the wheel.  Based on the profile they highlighted him
with I would put it down to him starting in Karts and then when he
moved to cars it was driving a Miata.  Vehicles that you have to be
smooth and controlled in.

They did not highlight the background on the other drivers but I
would be willing to bet that most did not cut their teeth in low
horse-powered momentum type cars.  Probably like quite a few students
I have that come out to the track for their first DE day and start
talking about getting a powerful car and getting their race
license.  They don't want to hear my advice that they get a Miata or
a 944 first to learn the craft.

Lots of carnage, loose cars, low percentage passes.  There was even
one moron on the radio to his crew talking about whether or not he
should pass his teammate under the FCY sincd there would only be a
few laps of green remaining!

Sad to see so many cars wrecked for no reason.