fot

Re: [Fot] J Type OD lubricant

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] J Type OD lubricant
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:54:23 -0800
> There seems to be some disagreement on
> what to use in the OD unit.

Bob, I think that qualifies as the understatement of the year !

What I see is that the J-type just doesn't care all that much.  The same
unit is used on OEM applications that use everything from motor oil to gear
oil to ATF.  They all seem to work well enough.

IMO, the gearbox is what should dictate choice of oil, especially as the TR
box just isn't all that rugged and needs all the help it can get.

So, if you want to go against Triumph's recommendation and use motor oil,
I'd suggest something with lots of ZDDP for protection.  Lots of folks
use/recommend Valvoline VR1 20W50 and it seems to work well.

I recently switched to Redline MT-90 in hopes it would save a marginal
transmission.  It didn't; but the J-type worked just fine.

Haven't decided what I'll try next, but I'm leaning towards the same
Valvoline full synthetic gear oil that I use in Triumph differentials.  It
doesn't use the additive that is a concern with some GL-5 oils (also found
in some GL-4 oils, just at a lower concentration) and seems to work very
well in my diffs.  However, it may be too slick for good synchro operation.
If it doesn't work out, I'll probably go back to the MT-90.

BTW, Quantum Mechanics also recommends upgrading the thrust washers in the
TR6 gearbox to Torrington bearings.  That would help them live with the
10W30 non-detergent, but seems kind of extreme to me.

Randall