fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA allows 5 speed transmission conversion!
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:35:20 -1000
This falls between the "good point except" and the "slippery slope"
categories. No one requires full OEM vintage. If they did there would
be very few running production-based cars. The megabuck cars must be
pure in order to retain their value, but all the rest have parts
relentlessly replaced with what's available and what fits the budget.
If these cars are going to participate (and they are the backbone of
vintage racing) then it's going to be a continual regulatory
management process that enables that, not a hard and fast rule. The
organizations are trying to hold the brakes on as much as feasible
without winding up with races that have 20 entries.

You can argue that a transmission change provides performance
opportunities, and it does, but nothing out of scope of what can be
accomplished inside an OEM box and overdrive with a lot of very
expensive parts (most of which never saw the inside of a Triumph
factory). The big difference is price and reliability. I don't mind
paying that price to some degree, but I also don't mind racing with
people that did it in a less expensive but not OEM-like manner.